I have very oily skin so whenever I see a product with “matte” or “oil control” on it, I have to try it.
One of my favorite YouTubers, Nicole, was raving about the Murad Oil Control Mattifier so I picked it up. Benefit has had a product that has similar claims and I wanted to try it too. I got both of them and put them to the test. Keep reading to see which one works!
Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF 15 PA++
- Description (ulta.com): Acne Oil-Control Mattifier Broad Spectrum SPF 15 / PA++ is a shine-reducing moisturizer that controls oil for up to 8 hours* and protects blemish-prone skin. Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15 / PA++ reduces shine on contact creating an immediate matte surface. It supports natural oil balance throughout the day, and prevents sun damage by delivering powerful UVA/UVB sun protection. Recommended as a Step 3 moisturizer in any Murad acne regimen, it eliminates surface shine as part of Dr. Murad’s Inclusive Health system of care.
- Price: $39.50 at Ulta, Sephora, Nordstorm, murad.com for 1.7 oz
- Pros: Easy to find; has an SPF but no flashback in photography; controls shine all day with minimal blotting and touching up
- Cons: Pricey; thick consistency
- Final Verdict: I use this as my morning moisturizer and I love that it has SPF in it. I normally perfect moisturizers that are a gel consistency because I like how they absorb quickly. This has a thicker, lotion type feel, but it doesn’t take long to absorb into the skin. The price is a little steep, but it is worth every cent. There were a few times during the day where I felt oily, but I didn’t look shiny which is A-OK with me. I hate looking shiny!
Benefit The Porefessioanl Matte Rescue Invisible Finish Mattifying Gel
- Description (ulta.com): Secret weapon to defeat pores & shine. Matte Rescue’s lightweight, water-based gel overpowers shine and absorbs excess surface oil, leaving a natural-looking matte finish. It instantly minimizes pores with diamond powder, known for its soft-focus pore-blurring effect. Skin feels clean, smooth and instantly refreshed. When shine attacks, this mattifying gel comes to the rescue!
- Price: $28 at Ulta and Sephora for 1.6 oz; Ulta has a travel size that’s $10 for 0.5 oz
- Pros: Gel formula absorbs quickly
- Cons: Pricey; still need a sunscreen since this doesn’t have an SPF
- Final Verdict: As I said earlier, I prefer products with a gel consistency. The formula is about the only good thing about this product. I had to blot and powder multiple times throughout the day which I don’t have to do when I use the Murad. I’m glad I bought the smaller size!
If you have oily skin, I highly recommend the Murad Oil Control Mattifier. You can a sample for free at Sephora and see for yourself. I’m telling you, it works! It is holy grail status and I will never be without it!